The 1960s was the golden decade in the history of the Indian cinema. During this time film makers experimented with several genres and audiences applauded. It was a brilliant decade with so many talented actors and actresses, directors and musicians, singers and songwriters. The songs, the cinematography, the arrival of color to the movies. It was all just too awesome for the audiences as well as the movie makers.
Two epic movies were the highlight of the decade Mughal-e-Azam and Raj Kapoor's Sangam. Also it was the decade of suspense thrillers with movies like Beed Saal Baad, Gumnaam, and Teesri Manzil. Some of the best Bollywood movies from 1960s are:
- Mughal-e-Azam (1960) One of the greatest Hindi films ever made.
- Bees Saal Baad (1962 B/W ) One of the classics and beautifully done Indian suspense thriller of all time.
- Sangam (1964) Produced and Directed by Raj Kapoor, Starring Vajyantimala, Rajindar Kumar and Raj Kapoor himself. Sangam was a trendsetter in many ways.
- Guide (1965) Starring Dev Anand as Guide and Wahida Rahman.
- Gumnaam (1965) One of the most popular suspense thriller films ever made in the history of Hindi Cinema.
- Teesri Manzil (1966) Shammi Kappor, Asha Parekh another suspense thriller.
- Jewel Theif (1967) Dev Anand, VajyantiMala
- Padosan (1968) Mehmood, Sunil Dutt, Saira Bano, Kishore Kumar. A Classic romantic comedy.
Some songs from the decade just to give the readers a taste of the 60s:
Mughal-e-Azam – Jab Pyar Kya tu Darna Kya
Bees Saal Baad – Kaheen Deep Jale Kaheen Dil
Sangam – Ye Mera Prem Pattar Parh Kar
Guide – Aj phir Jenay Ki Tamanna Hai
Teesri Manzil – O Haseena Zulfo Wali
Jewel Theif – Honto pe Aisi Baat
Padosan – Meri Pyari Bindu